The following is extracted directly from a hard copy version.
OPEN RACE CUPS
ADAMSON CUP: Donated by D A Adamson in 1927. To be eligible to win this cup a rider in their first Handicap race of the season must start on a handicap of 1 1/2 minutes or better. This mark taken from scratch or better. Points are 4,3,2,1 for placing, 3,2,1 for fastest times, 1 point for starting.
BOOMERANG CUP: Donated by the Barnet Glass Rubber Co. ltd in 1923. Was originally a challenge cup for handicap race. George Pidwell won it outright in 1955 after winning the cup three times (1941-1948-1955) Helen Pidwell donated it back to the club on George’s death. It was then awarded to the most successful club rider over the two day River City Grand Prix. It is now awarded to the most successful class 1 or class 2 rider over the three cup races of Couchman Cup, Sharrock Family Cup and Garthorne Cup. Points are 5,3,1 for placing, 3,2.
COUCHMAN CUP: Presented by the Couchman family in memory of Len Couchman who was killed in air action over France in 1944. For competition by open riders in a handicap race.
FALCONER CUP: Donated by A E Falconer Esq. In 1928. For the open rider accumulating the most points during the season. Points are 5,3,1 for placing. 3,2 for fastest times, 1 for starting
GARTHORNE CUP: Donated by G C Campbell in 1932. Usually raced over an 80km course starting at Durie Hill out to Fern Flats, Turakina Valley and back to Durie Hill.
JOHN TAYLOR MEMORIAL CUP: Donated by the Taylor Family in memory of John who died suddenly in 1995 at the age of 40. John was a member of several successful Hope Gibbons.
MAIN CUP: Donated by Bill and Val Main in 1973. Awarded to the fastest senior, junior or veteran male rider in the club 40 km individual time trial championship. Bill started racing with the club in 1947. He has been Club WCNI Centre and national president. He was awarded the OBE for services to cycling and was club Patron until his death in 2019.
ROSS CUP: Donated by Vern Ross in 1965. Awarded to the winner of the first Handicapped race of the season. Vern was secretary of this club for a number of years
SHARROCK FAMILY CUP: Donated by the Sharrock Family in 1964. A great Wanganui family of four brothers Arthur, Gordon, William (Bill) and Colin. They were all well supported by their parents who ran Friday housie for the club for many years. Mr and Mrs Sharrock’s sons Arthur Jnr and Julian were both successful cyclists winning many titles. Gordon Sharrock’s son Warren raced with club as a novice and in 1987 represented NZ as a veteran.
OPEN WOMEN AND NOVICE GIRLS RACE CUPS
ANDERSON FAMILY CUP: Donated by Roy and Eileen Anderson. The Anderson Family has been involved in Wanganui cycling since the mid 1930’s when Les Anderson competed, his name is on the Garthorne and Falconer Cups. Roy Anderson joined the Club in 1946 and became secretary in 1981. he was made a life member 1984. Another brother Jim Anderson also raced. The Cup is awarded to the winner of the Women’s Club championship.
CULVER CUP: Donated by Trevor Culver in the mid 1980’s. He became involved in cycling when his sons Anthony and Nicholas were racing and subsequently became a president for several terms. Life member of the club. Awarded to the fastest open woman in the club time trial championship of a distance of 25km.
TOM PHILPOTT CUP: Donated by Tom Philpott who was a club Scratch rider in the early 1940’s. His brother Trevor also raced. Awarded to the fastest novice girl in 16 km individual time trial championship.
JUNIOR RACE CUPS
GULLIVER CUP: Donated by Ted Gulliver in 1959. Ted was a club and Hope Gibbons team rider. Originally raced to Waverley and return, which is why it is engraved the Waverley Challenge Cup. Now Raced for on the Parapara road course over 80km. Awarded to the first junior to finish this handicap race.
HEALEY SHIELD: Awarded to the winner of the Junior Club Championships
CLASS 1 AND 2 RACE CUPS
HEENAN CUP: Donated by the WR Heenan family in 1951. Awarded to the winner of the Class 1 Club Championship.
ROSOMAN CUP: Donated by Ian Rosoman and his family for the class 2 club championship winner.
MOORE FAMILY TROPHY: Donated by Jim Moore in 1966. Originally donated for a pool table competition, which never started. Jim was a committee member while his sons David and Daniel were racing. Now awarded to the class 2 rider.
A GRADE NOVICE RACE CUPS
BROTHERSTON CUP: Donated by Jack Brotherston in 1959 for A grade club championship. Jack Brotherston was the owner of the Palm Lounge catering business and a City councillor. He presented this cup when his son John was racing.
CHEATLEY CUP: Donated by Les and June Cheatley in 1962. For Competition by A grade Novice riders. First place in a the longest handicap race of the season. Les’s brothers Dave and Noel also raced. Les is father of prominent NZ coach Ron, and grandfather of Bevan and Dayle Cheatley. Life member of the club.
FILER SHIELD: Donated by Eric Filer in 1963 for competition by A grade Novice riders. First place in a handicap race. Eric Filer presented this shield when his sons were riding. Kevin Filer is probably the best known of his three sons. Kevin subsequently moved to New Plymouth and operated a cycle shop. Other sons were Mark and Shane.
HARRY PIDWELL SHIELD: Donated by Harry Pidwell in 1954. Harry was a past President of the club. He was one of 4 Pidwell brothers who raced in the late 1930’s up to 1950. The others were Wattie, George and Tom. Awarded to the rider accumulating the most points in club races during the season. Points awarded for starting, placings and time placings.
O’DONNELL CUP: Donated by Charlie and Margaret O’Donnell in 1977. Charlie and Margaret were club officials and committee members. Charlie was a well-performed and well known runner. Awarded to the fastest A grade boy in 16 km individual time trial championship
HURLEY CUP: A and B novice handicap
GORDON SHARROCK CUP: Novice U15 handicap
PIDWELL CUP: Novice U15 handicap